Monday, July 06, 2009

Successful New Show

Through July 2009, I am the "Artist Of The Month" at Gallery 113 in downtown Santa Barbara. I am showing 12 paintings with a common theme of human "Interactions." A few are the same paintings I exhibited at my May 2009 show with a theme of "Memories from France and Mexico", but also includes several new paintings, not shown publicly before.

The theme "Interactions" may be defined as occurring when two objects have an effect upon each other. The idea of a two-way effect is essential – communication.

With the paintings exhibited in this show, I am continuing my basic explorations into the interactions between ordinary people in everyday settings. They are part of what I call my 21st century Genre figurative or "Social Realism" series.

Social Realism began around the turn of the 20th century and was fueled by the social conditions of that age. The movement reached its peak in the 1930's when American artists strove to be free of European artistic influences.

Many of those paintings, like mine, were bright and colorful, drawing in the viewer with their vibrancy. My paintings follow a more contemporary trend where this movement is being resurrected in figurative scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated: